Saturday 17 March 2012

The Wrong Start!


From March 13-16, I was in Hyderabad. My business was to attend the bi-annual event, Indian Aviation 2012 at Begumpet Airport. Since I reached the hotel room at 11.00 am, I had the whole day to explore food in various locations in Hyderabad. After a brief meeting at RTC Crossroad, I was free for the day. My driver Raju suggested that I try the biryani at Bawarchi restaurant, which was also at RTC Crossroad.

Bawarchi is opposite the Bus Bhavan and almost everyone is familiar with this eating joint. On the ground floor Bawarchi has a non- air-conditioned section and the takeaway. On the first floor there is a dining room that is air-conditioned and there is rooftop, which is open till 12 in the night. The food served in all these places comes from the same kitchen.
I ordered a Chicken Biriyani and fresh lime soda, which was served on our table in less than 10 minutes. With the biriyani came some gravy, which has burnt taste and a thin raita. Some onion slices and lemon wedges too. When I asked them whether I could pickle or papad, they said no.

The biriyani portion is huge and two people can easily tuck in the flavoured rice and chicken. But oh boy! This biriyani was a disappointment. I wouldn’t like to rate this biriyani anywhere in the scale of 1-10. It had absolutely nothing Hyderabadi and would have easily disguised as a biriyani from Chandni Chowk or Chennai.

The next day three of us, who were working late till 10.30 pm, picked up a chicken biriyani and a egg biriyani. The second time also, the dish failed to impress me. After three of us ate there was still food left for one more person.

Visit this place only if you do not have any other option. The only good thing is that the portions are large and cheap. Chicken biriyani takeway costed me only Rs 110 and egg biriyani was Rs 70!

1 comment:

  1. Hi..I agree that Bawarchi these days is a big disappointment, but it wasn't in my younger days. Glad to see that you have tried out the Paradise one, thats an absolute delight :)

    -A true Hyderabadi

    ReplyDelete